Saturday, July 17, 2010

It's Not a Race...It's a Journey

With high temps and threat of rain most of the week, I took my 3 mile walk Thursday to the treadmill in the gym. We belong to a gym on a college campus and I was surrounded by college students working out. On the other treadmills beside me, there were plenty of young men and women running on the treadmill. It made me jealous that they were finishing their miles in a much shorter period of time than I was! A couple came and left while I was still walking at a decent pace but yet still walking. I had to keep reminding myself that the 3-day isn't a race.

This is something that the 3-day coaches drill into your head at Getting Started Meetings, on emails, and finally even on the race. The 3-day is all about achieving something on your own, at your own pace. Running isn't even allowed! As a person that doesn't believe in running unless someone is chasing me, I wholeheartedly support the no running rule. In fact, last year the only times we ran were to get in line for the bathrooms - but that is a different story for a different time! Each individual on the 3-day can walk at the beginning, middle or back of the pack. If you need a little help, there are sweeper vans to help you along the way. It is all about a personal journey and doing the best that you can.

The 3-day isn't just a journey during those three days in October. I have realized that it is a journey for the entire training and fundraising process. As selfish as it sounds, I love having an hour to myself to walk a couple times a week. It gives me time to think and the training process makes me put myself first. The hardest part of training is making home and changing into workout clothes before I hit the couch. However, knowing the commitment I have made, I have to put on my workout clothes and start putting my walking first. It's healthy and fun.

The fundraising process is also a journey. It is hard to ask for money but knowing that my $2300 will be added to others from Atlanta and the other walks is important. I know that I am making a difference in funding for research to help end breast cancer and other cancers.

Each thing that we get involved in, we should look at the journey that we are on and not just the end result!

Thanks for helping me during the 2010 3-day journey.

Happy Walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment