Monday, July 26, 2010

Getting to Know You, Part 8

Posted By: Kim Sterritt

Voila! Katie Lynch-Holmes

Katie Lynch-Holmes
Location: Memphis, TN

Are you a NEW New Kid or a New Kid With Experience?
NEW New Kid!

What made you decide to take the plunge and sign up for the 2010 3 Day?
I had the great experience of living last year’s walk and training through Jenn Latino. After being totally amazed by her dedication and commitment to the cause… I too became inspired to help vicariously through her. A little after Jenn finished her walk, a very inspirational woman in my life was diagnosed and later beat breast cancer. Knowing her experience and that of her family, I decided that living through another person’s dedication was not going to cut it this year.

How did you get suckered into joining, I mean, get connected with Team New Kids?
I think I volunteered for this punishment—I mean wonderfully invigorating experience—because of Jenn Latino’s remarkable dedication. As she traveled her journey last year, I became quite envious not only of the impact she was making, but moreso of the impact being made on Jenn. As my journey is currently underway, I am beginning to have a hint of the power of the walk!

What is your favorite snack?
CHOCOLATE!!!!! I quite literally treat myself to at least one 3 Musketeers a day! If chocolate is not available I quickly return to “old faithful” coffee. While none of these are healthy snacks, they are certainly my “mood enhancers”.

What is your favorite walking/workout jam (song)?
Yikes, limiting this to one song is too hard. I have to jump into my favorite playlist instead (I have never been good at following the rules). On a short day I love to embrace the mellow jams of Jason Mraz, Nick Pagliari, Ingram Hill, 311 (Grassroots album), Even Elroy and even Dave Matthews Band. However on those longer walks I revert back to the live music safely stored on the ipod… thank you Phish, Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic, and Dave Matthews Band for putting on a good enough show to keep me company for several hours.

Fundraising for the 3-Day walk is challenging. What is your strategy?

I have a great strategy… ask, plea, and steal the best practices of others… and hope for the best. Following in the birthday tradition ($30 for 30)! Additionally, I have great friends in the restaurant and entertainment world who have agreed to host fundraising parties for NKOTW.

What are you plans for training?
I am doing my best to go against my personal nature and become a rule follower and a schedule keeper. This has been the biggest challenge of the experience for me and I humbly say I have done fairly well. I know have a challenge for myself—how many different cities and states can I train? Even before the “official training” began, I covered six cities and three states. Thanks EducationDynamics for making this challenge fun.

Why do you walk? What inspires you?
I walk in honor of many, both those women I have met and been inspired to know and those to whom I have not met directly. Chrissy Coley was an inspiration long before I even knew her medical history; I was inspired by the strength and optimism to which she has always demonstrated. After learning of her history, I am in even more in awe of her remarkable strength. I strive to carry myself with the same class and charisma Chrissy shows. Secondly, I walk in honor of an inspirational woman in my life. Her strength, dedication, and fortitude have always been a guiding light for the person I hope to become. I was amazed and remarkably humbled by the journey through breast cancer. Most importantly, I am elated to be able say I have the pleasure of still learning from these VIPs in my life.

What is your biggest fear regarding the 3 Day?
I am most nervous about “keeping up with the ‘Jones’”. NKOTW have set the bar high, everywhere from fundraising to the energy of the walk! I hope to be a valued member of the team—let’s make sure this happens by setting goals, deadlines and meeting expectations.

Tell us a little more about yourself!
As my husband likes to say, “I hale from the Great State of Mississippi”… I humbly call Memphis, TN/Olive Branch MS my hometown and love to represent the South. After retreating to Starkville, MS in 1998 for college, I was there until 2006. It was in Starkville that many “life milestones” happened—I graduated college, met my now husband, began working in Student Affairs/Higher Education and landed the job at USC. After moving to USC, even cooler things began to happen—started working even more closely with early alert, MET JENN LATINO and other rock stars like Michelle, got married (by Jenn) and decided SC was not the place for me. Now Shannon and I have moved back to Memphis, bought a house, and started training for Oct. I lead a very boring (but fulfilling) life finding a balance between work and life.

If you had dinner with Nancy Brinker, the founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, what would you say to her or ask her?

I am with Michelle, I would like to know the best slogan! After we discussed the runner ups, I would want to know how she finds the strength and passion to continue to fight the ominous opponent of cancer.

Please feel free to add anything else you’d like to share about yourself or the 3-Day.
I am excited and petrified to walk in Oct. Can’t wait to meet/see you all soon!

Katie is headed toward her fundraising goal! Help her hit her $2300 mark by clicking here!

Up Next Week: The New Kid who started it all ........ Jennifer Dooley!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I love being in the spotlight...ha. I have an update to the challenge to walk in many states. I have actually walked in 15 now:

    Alabama
    Arkansas
    Mississippi
    Tennessee
    South Carolina
    North Carolina
    Georgia
    Iowa
    Illinois
    Florida
    New York
    New Jersey
    Michigan (if we're counting airports)
    Minneapolis
    Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get 'em, Katie! That is an impressive list!

    ReplyDelete