Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What Inspires Me...

I recently received an email announcing the passing of a Kappa sister. She wasn't anyone I'd ever met but she was someone I admired. Kelln Zimmer was a 29 year old attorney. She was a leadership consultant for Kappa Kappa Gamma. She was my age. She passed away from breast cancer.

Most people think that breast cancer effects older women. That wasn't the case with Kelln and isn't the case for so many women. Kelln was diagnosed at the young age of 22 with breast cancer. It was during the year that she spent traveling for Kappa Kappa Gamma. She began treatment and continued to travel to chapters for the rest of the year.

I first heard Kelln's story when she wrote an article for the Kappa magazine, The Key. She spoke with such eloquence and courage. Her story is one that stuck with me. I remember reading it and thinking that this young woman was so brave and I didn't know if something like that had happened to me that I would go forward with so much dignity.

Kelln went on to law school and fought a re-occurrence the disease while attending classes. She became a successful attorney and her life was cut all too short by this awful disease. Kelln is going to be on my heart during this year's walk. Breast cancer isn't just for older women. It is now striking down women in their prime, young girls, and even men. Kelln inspires me to walk 60 miles this year and to keep walking until we find a cure.

You can read Kelln's powerful words here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment